Evita at Birmingham Hippodrome

by Dave Massey twitter.com/BrumHour

Evita at Birmingham Hippodrome

Bold, beautiful and brave are three words I’d use to describe Evita as the tour arrives at Birmingham Hippodrome this week.

This is a musical that’s starts how it ends *SPOILERS* with the funeral of Eva Peron who died in July 1952. Eva or Evita was First Lady of Argentina for over six years.

Evita
Evita

This is a musical with 99% music and the other 1% is a couple of lines of dialogue. You might think that as I’ve reviewed a fair amount of musicals that I’d be used to this, but there aren’t that many musical that are just music and lyrics.

Directed by Bob Tomson and Bill Kenwright with Lyrics by Tim Rice and Composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber this a production with some beautiful use of lighting on a fairly stripped back set.

Evita
Evita

Evita is stunningly portrayed by Madalena Alberto whos vocals are the chief reason I had to see this, Che portrayed by Gian Marco Schiaretti, I didn’t feel like it was fully explained to us who Che was, was he a Grim Reaper, an angel, researching his character further suggests he’s a villager who knew Eva and he acts as the narrator. Gian has a strong stage presence. Peron is played by Jeremy Secomb.

The stage is filled with lots of performers but you only ever notice the one person who singing at that particular moment. Drawn by their vocal range and depth, I found myself absorbed by the music and engrossed by the lyrics.

Evita
Evita

Casual theatre fans might find the two acts quite heavy but for those with a love of musical theatre this is massively entertaining. Especially the performance of Don’t cry for me Argentina which is clearly the stand out song.

I took my mother to see this production and she had not seen it at the Hippodrome in over 20 years, since before the Millennium refurbishment which saw the theatre close for over a year. It was every bit as exciting and entertaining as she remembered.

I fully recommend seeing this beautiful production of Evita while its in Birmingham if you get chance. Book tickets to Evita at Birmingham Hippodrome (until March 24th) here:

birminghamhippodrome.com/calendar/evita/


This isn’t as sponsored post. #BrumHour was invited to see Evita by Birmingham Hippodrome.

Advertisements